GeoScienceWorld has important information about IP access for content hosted on its platform. This post covers three main topics:

1. Partnership with theIPregistry.org
  2. Support for IPv6
  3. Changes affecting self-hosted proxy ranges 

theIPregistry.org

GSW has partnered with theIPregistry.org to make the process of checking, monitoring, and updating the IP addresses used to authenticate access to content easier for our subscribers. We believe that adopting this service will help to save you time and simplify your workflows. Many libraries and organizations already use theIPRegistry.org to manage their IP addresses and broadcast changes to multiple publishers from a secure central location.

We will transition to using data held by theIPregistry.org beginning October 22, 2024. After this date, you may submit any IP changes via theIPregistry.org (preferred) or send them to me directly. You will no longer be able to update IPs in the admin dashboard. We expect your access to GeoScienceWorld will continue without interruption during this transition. However, if you experience any problems, please let me know immediately.

Action required:

• If you already have an account with theIPregistry.org: No action is needed.
  • If you don’t have an account:
    • Create a free account at https://app.theIPregistry.org
    • Verify your institution’s registered IPs. You can update IP addresses as needed through your account.  You can learn more about theIPRegistry.org in their FAQ.  

Support for IPv6

We are pleased to announce that our access options now support IPv6, an updated and faster version of the IP protocol.

Action required:

• If you have already registered your IPv6s with theIPRegistry.org: No action is needed.
  • If you don’t have an account or you have not updated your IPv6s with them:
    • Update them directly in your account or,
    • Send them directly to me. If possible, please provide any range(s) in CIDR format. Expanded ranges can be converted to CIDR at https://www.ipaddressguide.com/ipv6-cidr.

Self-hosted Proxy Ranges

Our platform provider, Silverchair, has achieved ISO 27001 certification, an important milestone in its commitment to information security. A migration to CloudFlare services is a crucial component of this certification. As a result, some institutional proxy IP ranges, especially those that are self-hosted, may need to be added to the allow list for CloudFlare to maintain uninterrupted access. 

Action required:

• If you have any proxy access issues or are aware that you are self-hosted:
    • Send me your information and proxy IP range.
    • GSW will take care of the steps to ensure that your proxy access continues smoothly.

Please reach out to Lauren Comi, Director of Sales, Fulfilment, and Customer Service, at comi@geoscienceworld.org.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *