Geologists have an awareness of Earth’s history and processes across millions to billions of years, and even an insight into the future condition of the planet. Yet, as Pheobe McMellon (CEO of GeoscienceWorld) has said, geoscientists have often been underrepresented in the sustainability sciences. 

Now, the tide may be turning, as there are more opportunities to solve sustainability challenges. Geologists can reapply their skills from traditional geological roles, whether it be from academia or the oil and gas industry. We speak to several geologists about their career journey towards sustainable geoscience, and their perspectives:

Munira Raji: An academic pivot

Munira Raji is a Sustainable Geoscience and Natural Capital research fellow at University of Plymouth. She holds PhD in Geological Sciences from Durham University, MSc in Applied Petroleum Geoscience from the University of Derby, BSc in Geology from the University of Portsmouth, and certificates in Science Diplomacy.

A person wearing glasses and smiling

Description automatically generated

Munira Raji is a Sustainable Geoscientist and Geoscience Diplomat at the University of Plymouth, UK. Credit: Munira Raji.

Academically, she largely focused on researching unconventional shale oil and gas resources, but she was always passionate about environmental concerns, such as around onshore fracking. This inspired her PhD research on the potential of fracking the tight sand-shale Kimmeridge Clay interbeds offshore.

Munira describes a turning point: “Just as I finished my PhD and began applying for jobs, the government announced a ban on fracking in England. In response, I researched more about sustainable energy, particularly the UN sustainable development goals (SDGs) and how geoscience can contribute to achieving them.” 

After upskilling with an online course in sustainable energy, she landed a new opportunity: “Fortunately, I was offered my first post-doctorate project at the University of Hull, where I worked on an in-depth examination and analysis of science policy related to various critical agendas, including the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs), the Africa We Want 2063 initiative, and the Kenya Vision 2030.”

The project’s holistic perspective on the future of geoscience inspired Munira to pivot towards sustainable geoscience, as she expanded her technical, science policy and diplomacy skills in the area. This experience, combined with her networking skills, steered her towards her dream job at the Sustainable Earth Institute at the University of Plymouth.

Chris Jackson: Oil and gas to geothermal

Chris Jackson is Director of Sustainable Geoscience at Jacobs Engineering Group and was previously a Professor of Sustainable Geoscience at University of Manchester. He completed a PhD in basin analysis at the University of Manchester after an undergraduate in Geology. Much of the research was field based, related to subsurface characterisation and funded by an oil and gas company.

Chris Jackson standing in front of the largest lava lake in the world at Nyriagongo, one of the volcanoes in the Virunga Volcanic Province, Democratic Republic of Congo. Credit: Chris Jackson

After stepping fully into the oil and gas industry for several years, his career took some more twists and turns. Chris shares why: “I re-joined academia as a faculty member, with my research and teaching focusing on basin analysis. A lot of our research was funded by oil companies; however, after 17 years, and with an increasing personal interest in sustainable geoscience topics, I left academia to join an engineering consultancy who were working on low-carbon energy projects such as geothermal, wind, and hydrogen storage.”

Chris left academia and his position as Statoil Professor of Basin Analysis, but he still found his skills remained relevant in his new role. “A lot of the skills developed during my 20 years in academia and industry are readily applicable to my new work,” Chris adds.

Clare Bond: A decade of insight

Based at University of Aberdeen, Professor Clare Bond is interested in global interactions between Earth’s processes and people. Clare’s initiation to geological carbon storage was in the late 2000’s when working in consultancy, having joined a joint industry-research project with BP and Equinor. In a recent project, she explored the geothermal potential of the Balmoral Estate’s granites. Even with over a decade of technical experience, Clare realizes the field has an important human aspect.

A person wearing a hat and a red jacket

Description automatically generated

Clare Bond out in the field. Credit: Clare Bond.

“I see sustainable geoscience as much broader than the technical aspects of the subject, it is also about equality and inclusion,” which is partly why Clare is a founding member of the Just Transition Laboratory in Aberdeen, UK, which collaboratively researches justice in the energy transition.

“A few years ago, l designed an undergraduate course on Geoscience and UN Sustainable Development Goals which includes technical aspects of geoscience to achieve the energy transition, but also cultural heritage, communication, diversity, inclusion and working in partnership. I think often we forget about these essential components when we as geoscientists focus on the technical aspects of our work,” Clare explains.

Within the course, she encourages students to think beyond where they are now. With a geoscientific skillset, they can realize their ambitions and contribute positively to different sectors. But for all professions, Clare emphasizes following your passion. She advises to “think of your career as a series of building blocks to where you want to go. Your first job is unlikely to be your dream job, and your dream job will likely change over time. See where opportunities take you. Careers are journeys, not ends in themselves.”

Looking at the exciting career journeys that Munira, Chris, and Clare shared with us, we can reflect on our own values and passions, and the possibilities ahead of us. As humanity reimagines a better relationship with the planet, we can find new opportunities to solve problems at the intersection of geoscience and sustainability.

Similar Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *